A DIY tower garden is the ideal solution for people who have limited outdoor space, but want to grow plants for food and/or beauty. A garden tower project can be as simple as just stacking a few various sized planter pots in ascending size order for herb growing, to building a more elaborate vertical garden tower that is capable of supporting larger food and flower plants. Whatever your gardening need and outdoor space is, one of these 21 DIY tower garden ideas we have collected for you is sure to meet your needs.
DIY Tower Garden Ideas For Urban Gardeners:
1- PVC Pipe Tower Garden On
Here is step by step guide
- Select 2 PVC pipes that are 4 inches in diameter and the same length. The length depends on the desired height of the tower garden.
- Use a drill with a cutting bit attachment to create planting holes in the PVC pipe as shown in the video
- Use smaller, 1 inch PVC pipe as a support system for larger pipes
- Stand upright and secure in-ground and/or against a fence
- Fill large PVC pipes with potting soil and place plants in vertical holes
Related article: pvc pipe projects
2- Flower Pot DIY Tower Garden
Steps to build diy tower garden
- Five terra cotta planters in ascending sizes, ranging from 14 inch to 6 inch
- A wood or metal rod long enough to span the height of the stacked planters
- Flower pot tower will be heavy when completed, so build it in its permanent location
- Fill the larger planter with potting soil, insert rod in the center. Place the rod through the bottom hole of the next smallest planter and slide planter down until it rests on top of the soil in the first planter.
- Fill the second planter with potting soil and continue stacking and filling the planters.
- Plant selected seeds or plants in the exposed soil of each planter
Related Topic: DIY Terra Cotta Heaters
3- Pyramid DIY Tower Garden
Here we have an Ideal design for starting plants from seeds or for growing strawberry plants. Use these free plans for building a long-lasting diy pyramid tower by removeandreplace from wood. Great way to use scrap lumber you have on hand. This DIY tower garden can be built to your desired height.
4- Strawberry DIY Tower Garden
This DIY vertical grow tower by apieceofrainbow is perfect for growing strawberries or other similar running vines. The best thing we like about this design is the hidden water reservoir that keeps the plants hydrated at all times.
Below are simple steps to build this strawberry tower
- Use five gallon planters or buckets
- Create 1 1/4 inch holes in the bottom for drainage and around the sides for plants to grow out of planter.
- Fill each planter half way with potting soil and stack on top of each other until the desired height is reached
- Cut the bottom off of a plastic water bottle and insert it upside down in the top planter drainage hole, then fill in the remaining space of the top planter with potting soil. This is the water reservoir for the entire strawberry tower
- Plant strawberry plants in the side holes and exposed soil on the top of each container
5- Grow Potato Garden Tower In A Wire Cage
- Cut 3′ wide wire fence and blend the ends to make a circle.
- Fill it up with grass clipping or hay.
- Push the hay to the side and fill the center with good garden soil mixed with compost and worm casting.
- Plant some seeds or seedlings right in the top.
- Cover the top with garbage can to protect it from frost.
- Cover top and sides with tulle to protect plants from pests.
6- Planter Bird Bath Combination
This whimsical DIY flower tower by homestoriesatoz provides a space for flower growing and a place for birds to bath. Paint the terra cotta planters a bold color so the DIY creation will be an attractive piece of yard art during the winter months.
7- Trash Can DIY Grow Tower
Learn how to transform a 15 gallon round trash can (a 55 gallon barrel can also be used) into a productive diy plant tower like this one on YouTube video that can be used on a porch, roof top, patio or in the landscape.
8- DIY Aeroponics Growing Tower
Transform a 55 gallon food-grade plastic barrel and some PVC pipe elbows to create this aeronautics growing tower on youtube that can support a large number of vegetable plants. Easy to follow YouTube video walks you though the entire DIY process.
9- Sweet Potato DIY Tower Garden
Follow this YouTube video to discover how easy and fun growing sweet potatoes can be in a potao tower like in this Youtube video. A few containers, soil and patience will have you digging up a tasty harvest of fresh sweet potatoes.
10- Miniponics Vertical Garden
Grow edible plants and fish in this attractive miniponic vertical garden by mediamatic. Easy to build, takes up very little space and makes an interesting addition to any sunny location inside of your home. Also check out DIY aquaponic system.
11- Recycled Bottle DIY Tower Garden
In this DIY vertical garden idea by containergardening we will see how the DIYers recycle various bottles and buckets and transform them into a tower garden. You may also like to check out vertical gardening ideas.
12- Strawberry DIY Tower Garden
13- DIY Herb Tower
14- DIY Garden Tower Under $10
15- Stacked Planter
16- DIY Flower Tower
17- Hydroponic Strawberry Tower
Another masterful and simple design using PVC pipe. This hydroponic system by gardenculturemagazine will enable you to grow large, juicy strawberries inside or outside of your home. Also check out diy hydroponic systems.
18- Pallet Vertical Garden
Recycle pallet wood to create vertical garden shelves like in this tower garden idea by instructables. Perfect for growing a variety of fresh herbs and edible flowers. You may also like to see pallet garden ideas.
19- Stacked Wood Crates
Use this vertical garden idea by littlegreendot to create an attractive focal point for your backyard. Easy to build and provides a large vertical growing space that will provide a lot of fresh produce. You may also like to check out vertical garden plants.
20- Rain DIY Tower Garden
22- San Francisco Vertical Garden Tower
23- Petunia DIY Flower Tower
Use wire fence and a suitable container to make a petunia tower like in this youtube video.
24- 55 Gallon Plastic Barrel For DIY Tower Garden
Use 55 gallon plastic barrel to grow 50 plants in a 4 square feet of area such as in this tower garden idea on youtube.
25- Half-Pint Homestead Garden Tower Barrel Construction
26- Galvanized Garden Tipsy Flower Pot Tower
27- Spiral Herb Garden
28- DIY Vertical Herb Garden
Get this tower garden idea at diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com
29- Slot Together Pyramid Garden Planter
Make pyramid garden tower planter by using reclaimed Pallet timbers.
30- DIY Strawberry Garden Tower
DIY tower garden as the name sounds, a vertical space in a style of tower to grow plants if you have limited outdoor space. The ideas we have shown you above provide multiple ways you make use of vertical space. You can select any of the ideas you like the most.