A DIY tower garden is the ideal solution for people who have limited outdoor space, but want to grow plants for food and/or beauty. A garden tower project can be as simple as just stacking a few various sized planter pots in ascending size order for herb growing, to building a more elaborate vertical garden tower that is capable of supporting larger food and flower plants. Whatever your gardening need and outdoor space is, one of these 21 DIY tower garden ideas we have collected for you is sure to meet your needs.
Related topics: vertical gardening ideas, diy planter box, diy garden trellis, vertical garden plants and diy hanging planters.
DIY Tower Garden Ideas For Urban Gardeners:
1- PVC Pipe Tower Garden
Build your own tower garden with PVC pipe. Perfect design for a small space.
Here is step by step guide
- Select 2 PVC pipes that are 4 inches in diameter and the same length. The length depends on the desired height of the tower garden.
- Use a drill with a cutting bit attachment to create planting holes in the PVC pipe as shown in the video
- Use smaller, 1 inch PVC pipe as a support system for larger pipes
- Stand upright and secure in-ground and/or against a fence
- Fill large PVC pipes with potting soil and place plants in vertical holes
Related article: pvc pipe projects
2- Flower Pot DIY Tower Garden
Attractive and so easy to create, 5 terra cotta planter in various sizes, a rod and potting soil is all that’s need to build this flower pot tower.
Steps to build diy tower garden
- Five terra cotta planters in ascending sizes, ranging from 14 inch to 6 inch
- A wood or metal rod long enough to span the height of the stacked planters
- Flower pot tower will be heavy when completed, so build it in its permanent location
- Fill the larger planter with potting soil, insert rod in the center. Place the rod through the bottom hole of the next smallest planter and slide planter down until it rests on top of the soil in the first planter.
- Fill the second planter with potting soil and continue stacking and filling the planters.
- Plant selected seeds or plants in the exposed soil of each planter
Get instructions at graceandgoodeats
Related Topic: DIY Terra Cotta Heaters
3- Pyramid DIY Tower Garden
Here we have an Ideal design for starting plants from seeds or for growing strawberry plants. Use these free plans for building a long-lasting diy pyramid tower from wood. Great way to use scrap lumber you have on hand. This DIY tower garden can be built to your desired height. Get instructions at removeandreplace
4- Strawberry DIY Tower Garden
This DIY vertical grow tower is perfect for growing strawberries or other similar running vines. The best thing we like about this design is the hidden water reservoir that keeps the plants hydrated at all times.
Below are simple steps to build this strawberry tower
- Use five gallon planters or buckets
- Create 1 1/4 inch holes in the bottom for drainage and around the sides for plants to grow out of planter.
- Fill each planter half way with potting soil and stack on top of each other until the desired height is reached
- Cut the bottom off of a plastic water bottle and insert it upside down in the top planter drainage hole, then fill in the remaining space of the top planter with potting soil. This is the water reservoir for the entire strawberry tower
- Plant strawberry plants in the side holes and exposed soil on the top of each container
Get instructions at apieceofrainbow
5- Grow Potato Garden Tower In A Wire Cage
Here we have a good idea that will work fine if you have not good garden soil and have a small garden space. Here are brief instructions to make this potato garden tower.
- Cut 3′ wide wire fence and blend the ends to make a circle.
- Fill it up with grass clipping or hay.
- Push the hay to the side and fill the center with good garden soil mixed with compost and worm casting.
- Plant some seeds or seedlings right in the top.
- Cover the top with garbage can to protect it from frost.
- Cover top and sides with tulle to protect plants from pests.
6- Planter Bird Bath Combination
This whimsical DIY flower tower provides a space for flower growing and a place for birds to bathe. Paint the terra cotta planters a bold color so the DIY creation will be an attractive piece of yard art during the winter months.
Get instructions at homestoriesatoz
7- Trash Can DIY Grow Tower
Watch this YouTube video to learn how to transform a 15 gallon round trash can (a 55 gallon barrel can also be used) into a productive diy plant tower that can be used on a porch, roof top, patio or in the landscape.
8- DIY Aeroponics Growing Tower
Transform a 55 gallon food-grade plastic barrel and some PVC pipe elbows to create this aeronautics growing tower that can support a large number of vegetable plants. Easy to follow YouTube video walks you though the entire DIY process.
9- Sweet Potato DIY Tower Garden
Follow this YouTube video to discover how easy and fun growing sweet potatoes can be in a potao tower. A few containers, soil and patience will have you digging up a tasty harvest of fresh sweet potatoes.
10- Miniponics Vertical Garden
Grow edible plants and fish in this attractive miniponic vertical garden. Easy to build, takes up very little space and makes an interesting addition to any sunny location inside of your home. Also check out DIY aquaponic system.
Get instructions at mediamatic
11- Recycled Bottle DIY Tower Garden
In this DIY vertical garden idea we will see how the DIYers recycle various bottles and buckets and transform them into a tower garden.
Get instructions at containergardening
12- Strawberry DIY Tower Garden
Simple, sleek wood design takes up very little space, but produces an abundance of fresh strawberries.
Get the tutorial at: zestitup.com
13- DIY Herb Tower
Use this idea to build an herb tower from cedar wood. Plenty of growing space for a variety of herbs, and the cedar wood will last for years.
Get instructions at removeandreplace
14- DIY Garden Tower Under $10
This diy garden tower project can be created for less than $10. Economical, functional and beautiful.
Get instructions at removeandreplace
15- Stacked Planter
Welcome guests at your front door with this attractive stacked planter garden tower.
Get instructions at allparenting
16- DIY Flower Tower
A little fence wire, potting soil and flowers can be transformed into this lush flower tower in under an hour.
Get instructions at homedepot
17- Hydroponic Strawberry Tower
Another masterful and simple design using PVC pipe. This hydroponic system will enable you to grow large, juicy strawberries inside or outside of your home. Also check out diy hydroponic systems.
Get instructions at gardenculturemagazine
18- Pallet Vertical Garden
Recycle pallet wood to create vertical garden shelves. Perfect for growing a variety of fresh herbs and edible flowers. You may also like to see pallet garden ideas.
Get instructions at instructables
19- Stacked Wood Crates
Use this vertical garden idea to create an attractive focal point for your backyard. Easy to build and provides a large vertical growing space that will provide a lot of fresh produce.
Get instructions at littlegreendot
20- Rain DIY Tower Garden
Unique idea that makes vertical gardening easy. Simple DIY build with lots of room for growing plants.
A simple idea that produces big results. Use these step by step instructions for creating your own DIY tower garden.
Get instructions at hometalk
22- San Francisco Vertical Garden Tower
Found at: sunset.com
23- Petunia DIY Flower Tower
Use wire fence and a suitable container to make a petunia tower.
24- 55 Gallon Plastic Barrel For DIY Tower Garden
Use 55 gallon plastic barrel to grow 50 plants in a 4 square feet of area.
25- Half-Pint Homestead Garden Tower Barrel Construction
Grow herbs or food in a limited space using scrape garden barrel that has composting worms for aeration and fertility.
26- Galvanized Garden Tipsy Flower Pot Tower
Use galvanized watering can, a coal bucket, two medium sized tubs and a large wash tub to make this flower tower. Get the details at : fleamarketgardening.org
27- Spiral Herb Garden
Here we have an easy way to grow more herbs in less space. A 6 foot space is that’s needed to create this large spiral herb garden that can support the growth of more than just herbs. Get instructions at hometalk
28- DIY Vertical Herb Garden
29- Slot Together Pyramid Garden Planter
Make pyramid garden tower planter by using reclaimed Pallet timbers.
30- DIY Strawberry Garden Tower
Grow strawberries in a bucket that keeps them contained mobile and easy to water.
DIY tower garden as the name sounds, a vertical space in a style of tower to grow plants if you have limited outdoor space. The ideas we have shown you above provide multiple ways you make use of vertical space. You can select any of the ideas you like the most.