A DIY tower garden is the ideal solution for people who have limited outdoor space, but want to grow plants for food and/or beauty. A garden tower project can be as simple as just stacking a few various sized planter pots in ascending size order for herb growing, to building a more elaborate vertical garden tower that is capable of supporting larger food and flower plants. Whatever your gardening need and outdoor space is, one of these 21 DIY tower garden ideas is sure to meet your needs.
DIY Tower Garden Ideas For Urban Gardeners:
1- PVC Pipe Tower
Build your own tower garden with PVC pipe. Perfect design for a small space. Here is step by step guide:
- Select 2 PVC pipes that are 4 inches in diameter and the same length. The length depends on the desired height of the tower garden.
- Use a drill with a cutting bit attachment to create planting holes in the PVC pipe as shown in the video
- Use smaller, 1 inch PVC pipe as a support system for larger pipes
- Stand upright and secure in-ground and/or against a fence
- Fill large PVC pipes with potting soil and place plants in vertical holes
Related article: pvc pipe projects
2- Terra Cotta Vertical Planter
Attractive and so easy to create, 5 terra cotta planter in various sizes, a rod and potting soil is all that’s need to build this flower pot tower.
- Five terra cotta planters in ascending sizes, ranging from 14 inch to 6 inch
- A wood or metal rod long enough to span the height of the stacked planters
- Flower pot tower will be heavy when completed, so build it in its permanent location
- Fill the larger planter with potting soil, insert rod in the center. Place the rod through the bottom hole of the next smallest planter and slide planter down until it rests on top of the soil in the first planter.
- Fill the second planter with potting soil and continue stacking and filling the planters.
- Plant selected seeds or plants in the exposed soil of each planter
Related Topic: DIY Terra Cotta Heaters
3- Pyramid DIY Tower Garden
Ideal design for starting plants from seeds or for growing strawberry plants. Use these free plans for building a long-lasting diy pyramid tower from wood. Great way to use scrap lumber you have on hand. This DIY tower garden can be built to your desired height.
4- Strawberry DIY Tower Garden
This DIY vertical grow tower is perfect for growing strawberries or other similar running vines. The best thing about this design is the hidden water reservoir that keeps the plants hydrated at all times. Below are simple steps to build this strawberry tower.
- Use five gallon planters or buckets
- Create 1 1/4 inch holes in the bottom for drainage and around the sides for plants to grow out of planter.
- Fill each planter half way with potting soil and stack on top of each other until the desired height is reached
- Cut the bottom off of a plastic water bottle and insert it upside down in the top planter drainage hole, then fill in the remaining space of the top planter with potting soil. This is the water reservoir for the entire strawberry tower
- Plant strawberry plants in the side holes and exposed soil on the top of each container
5- Planter Bird Bath Combination
This whimsical DIY flower tower provides a space for flower growing and a place for birds to bathe. Paint the terra cotta planters a bold color so the DIY creation will be an attractive piece of yard art during the winter months.
6- Spiral Herb Garden
An easy way to grow more herbs in less space. A 6 foot space is that’s needed to create this large spiral herb garden that can support the growth of more than just herbs.
7- Trash Can DIY Grow Tower
Watch this YouTube video to learn how to transform a 15 gallon round trash can (a 55 gallon barrel can also be used) into a productive diy plant tower that can be used on a porch, roof top, patio or in the landscape.
8- DIY Aeroponics Growing Tower
Transform a 55 gallon food-grade plastic barrel and some PVC pipe elbows to create this aeronautics growing tower that can support a large number of vegetable plants. Easy to follow YouTube video walks you though the entire DIY process.
9- Sweet Potato DIY Tower Garden
Follow this YouTube video to discover how easy and fun growing sweet potatoes can be in a potao tower. A few containers, soil and patience will have you digging up a tasty harvest of fresh sweet potatoes.
10- Miniponics Vertical Garden
Grow edible plants and fish in this attractive miniponic vertical garden. Easy to build, takes up very little space and makes an interesting addition to any sunny location inside of your home. Also check out DIY aquaponic system.
11- Recycled Bottle DIY Tower Garden
This DIY vertical garden shows you how to recycle various bottles and buckets and transform them into a tower garden.
12- Strawberry DIY Tower Garden
Simple, sleek wood design takes up very little space, but produces an abundance of fresh strawberries.
Get the tutorial at: zestitup.com
13- DIY Herb Tower
Use this idea to build an herb tower from cedar wood. Plenty of growing space for a variety of herbs, and the cedar wood will last for years.
14- DIY Garden Tower Under $10
This diy garden tower project can be created for less than $10. Economical, functional and beautiful.
15- Stacked Planter
Welcome guests at your front door with this attractive stacked planter garden tower.
16- DIY Flower Tower
A little fence wire, potting soil and flowers can be transformed into this lush flower tower in under an hour.
17- Hydroponic Strawberry Tower
18- Pallet Vertical Garden
Recycle pallet wood to create vertical garden shelves. Perfect for growing a variety of fresh herbs and edible flowers. You may also like to see pallet garden ideas.
19- Stacked Wood Crates
Use this vertical garden idea to create an attractive focal point for your backyard. Easy to build and provides a large vertical growing space that will provide a lot of fresh produce.
20- Rain DIY Tower Garden
Unique idea that makes vertical gardening easy. Simple DIY build with lots of room for growing plants.
A simple idea that produces big results. Use these step by step instructions for creating your own DIY tower garden.
22- San Francisco Vertical Garden Tower
Found at: sunset.com
23- Petunia DIY Flower Tower
Use wire fence and a suitable container to make a petunia tower.
24- 55 Gallon Plastic Barrel For DIY Tower Garden
Use 55 gallon plastic barrel to grow 50 plants in a 4 square feet of area.
25- Half-Pint Homestead Garden Tower Barrel Construction
Grow herbs or food in a limited space using scrape garden barrel that has composting worms for aeration and fertility.
26- Galvanized Garden Tipsy Flower Pot Tower
Use galvanized watering can, a coal bucket, two medium sized tubs and a large wash tub to make this flower tower. Get the details at : fleamarketgardening.org
27- Grow Potato Garden Tower In A Wire Cage
This idea will work fine if you have not good garden soil and have a small garden space. Here are brief instructions to make this potato garden tower.
- Cut 3′ wide wire fence and blend the ends to make a circle.
- Fill it up with grass clipping or hay.
- Push the hay to the side and fill the center with good garden soil mixed with compost and worm casting.
- Plant some seeds or seedlings right in the top.
- Cover the top with garbage can to protect it from frost.
- Cover top and sides with tulle to protect plants from pests.
28- DIY Vertical Herb Garden
29- Slot Together Pyramid Garden Planter
Make pyramid garden tower planter by using reclaimed Pallet timbers.
30- DIY Strawberry Garden Tower
Grow strawberries in a bucket that keeps them contained mobile and easy to water.