Garden tomato plants need a little support in order for them to grow and produce their best. Making diy tomato cage is an easy job and can often use materials that you already have on-hand. Tomato plants that are grown vertically with a support system will produce a bigger, better crop than plants that are left unsupported. Before spending a lot of money on pre-made tomato cages, learn how to stake tomatoes with these DIY tomatoes trellis and cages ideas.
DIY Tomato Cages and Trellis To Support Plant Growth
DIY Wire Cages
Easy to create and lightweight, use this idea to fashion DIY wire cages to support tomato plants from concrete reinforcing steel mesh. Strong enough to support even the largest tomato plants and produce.
Here are brief steps to build this diy tomato cage.
- Get the following tools and material:
-One 150′ roll of 5′ concrete reinforcing steel mesh
– 2 cinderblocks
– 2 milk crates
-2′ wood or rebar stakes (optional)
- Wear gloves and lay down roll of wire mesh on a flat surface.
- Secure the ends with cinder blocks and cut the wire mesh at a length of 8′ long.
- Remove the first block and move it towards the cut edge. Then fasten in place by folding and crimping the cut edge’ to make a tube of 18″.
- Place the four cages in the planted area and tie them together with 3″ lengths of jute twine.
DIY Tomato Cage Made From Livestock Panels
Not only can these heavy duty wire panels keep livestock within a specific perimeter, they can easily be used to strong, long-lasting diy tomato cages. Build once, use as a plant trellis system for years.
Turn Old Wire Fencing Into DIY Tomato Cage
Here is a great way to recycle old wire fencing, turn the fencing into DIY tomato cages. New fencing can also be used to create a garden trellis system for tomatoes, cucumbers and other plants that need supported during the growing season.
Following are simple steps to build this sturdy homemade wire cage.
- Measure off and cut a 78″ length of fencing to end up with a 60″x78″ piece.
- Make a circle from wire by joining the cut ends.
- Take a narrow piece of pipe and use it to loop each wire over and through the wire squares on the other side.
- Take a stake or pvc pipe weave it through the cage and hammer it into the ground.
- Plant tomato plants in the ground of cage.
DIY Tomato Trellis
Function and beauty meet in this tomato trellis design. This support system provides support on both sides and creates a walkway in the center for easy vegetable harvest.
Bamboo and Wire DIY Tomato Cage
Sometimes the garden plants grow faster than we anticipate and a support system for tall tomato plants is needed. This wooden tripod idea will provide tomato plant support for fast growing plants and can be installed without damaging the already tall plants.
Cheap DIY Tomato Trellis Idea
Save money and time with this cheap garden trellis idea. Inexpensive pieces of lumber and strips of fabric will create an affordable garden plant support system without using up much of your valuable time. Follow these instructions and build DIY tomato cages for under $2 a piece.
DIY Tomato Cage With PVC Pipes
Create this strong and reusable homemade trellis from PVC pipes quickly and inexpensively. PVC pipe and connecting joints and long lasting and can be fashioned into almost any size or shape.
Here are short steps to make this tomato trellis.
- Measure the pvc pipe using tape. Use duct tape and wrap it around the the point to be cutted.
- Cut four corner and center pieces at a length of 30″ and pounded each 10 inch into the ground.
- Insert T shaped connector bracket on top of each corner piece and X shaped connector bracket on top of each center piece.
- Hooking the T-brackets Together.
- Using 2-T shaped connector brackets connect short piece of 3-18″ length with long piece of 4-21″ length using 3-T shaped connector bracket.
- Connect long interior pieces to T-brackets on the short end of the garden.
- Take three short center grid pieces each 57″ long and pass it from one long side to another.
- On the top of each corner pieces connect another T-shaped bracket.
- Topped up each 4 pieces of center support of 20″ long with X-shapped connector.
Strong, inexpensive and flexible bamboo stakes make a perfect support system for growing tomato plants. Use 1-4 bamboo stakes per plant, and loosely tie twine or strips of fabric around the bamboo stakes to keep the plants upright.
Wooden DIY Tomato Cage
Here is a great idea that will allow you to build a DIY support system while using up pieces of scrap lumber you may have lying around. Strips of 1 inch x 1 inch lumber work best for building these sturdy wooden cages, but other sizes can be used too.
Obelisk DIY Tomato Trellis
Decorative and functional, this 4-sided pillar trellis will provide stable support to tomato plants throughout the growing season. Paint the wood in bright colors so the obelisk trellises will also be a unique design element in your garden. Top it off with a small gazing ball for added interest.
Wood Towers Tomato Cages
These sturdy wood towers will support even the tallest growing tomato plant variety. Paint the wood to protect it from the elements and to make the towers an attractive garden element year around.
3 Step DIY Garden Trellis
Train your tomato plants to grow vertically on this DIY garden trellis. Easy to build and strong enough to support several tomato plants. Easy to follow instruction will enable you to build this garden trellis in just one afternoon. Apply a coat of paint and leave the trellis in place year around for visual interest.